These have been the best 10 years of my life.
You have brought me more joy and more growth than I could have imagined.
More than the joy and growth, though, I’m excited about what is ahead. This verse keeps popping into my mind:
But one thing I do:forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
I know that is Paul talking about his walk with God and his calling, but for me, I keep thinking about us.
I don’t want to forget what lies behind, but I do want to use it to focus on pressing toward the goals and dreams we have as a couple and as a family.
The goals and dreams aren’t complicated:
- I want us to have fun.
- I want us to encourage each other.
- I want us to take chances and avoid regrets.
- I want us to do the things we want to do simply because we want to.
- I want us to love each other deeply and passionately.
- I want us to lead our kids well and help lead them into being awesome adults.
- I want to be financially free and physically healthy.
- I want to be a family that loves Jesus well and serves others selflessly.
We can forget what lies behind while still using it to drive us toward our goals as a couple and a family.
So I commit this to you as we celebrate our 10th year:
- God will be my priority (feel free to remind me as needed).
- My health – physically, spiritually, emotionally, and mentally – will come in a close second because without these things, I’m of no use to you or anybody else.
- You. You are my most treasured relationship and my most treasured stewardship. You are my heart. You are a gift. And you I commit to keeping safe as I also commit to challenging you and doing my best to bring out the goodness that lives inside of you.
- Our Children. Maggie, Jake, and Sam are also my heart. May I be the Dad to them that lifts them up and encourages them.
- All the other stuff: You can help me figure this out.
You are lovely. You are beautiful. You are precious.
Please never forget that, even if I fail at times to treat you as such.
Never forget it.
I love you and I’m thankful for you.
Happy Anniversary (and thank you for being so good to me)!
**By the way, you’ll notice posts being numbered. I couldn’t quite keep to a daily schedule, but I hope you’ll enjoy some of the memories in this little tribute blog. :-)